The Time to Transform. In DEFENSE of Michael Bay

First thing's first.
Been waiting a while to write up a bit on the production of TRANSFORMERS. The ultimate kick butt live-action feature length version of the cartoon series featuring cars that turned to robots that we all loved so much.
My initial thoughts.
1. People should stop harassing Michael Bay. I agree that he makes rather brainless films. But I have a problem with (insert insult) elitists who thinks that only anti-propaganda (which ironically is a form of propaganda) films, unconventional documentaries, or low budget arthouse films that tries to depict real life (when there's actually no such thing as real life in film, no matter how much one tries. Science fiction and fiction, no matter how different, is still fiction), or those who only watch films with substance in storyline (big budget visual stuff is also substance to me. I go to movies to see things. Literally. It's quite a secret, so keep it to yourself.)
And seriously, 5 out of his 6 feature films opened at no.1 in the box office (INTERESTINGLY, the one film that didn't make it to no.1 was his most story-lific one. Ha.). So he's really happy he's making money making stupid films you know.
I'd want to make stupid films and make money. Anyday. Saves me many watts of brain power.
2. Here's a good link for TRANSFORMERS updates. Click here.
3. If there's a concern that Michael Bay is gonna make everything explode, like how he does in every other movies. Let me tell you this. TRANSFORMERS will have all of the following typical-michael-bay-characteristics:
- Very hot women
- Very sleek and stylish cars
- The best explosions
- The best action sequences
- Many slow motion shots
- the best explosions
- the best explosions
- the best action sequences
- the best explosions
I liked it when Armageddon pummeled earth into pieces. I loved it when Nicolas Cage and Sean Connery took out an entire jail facility and tore up half of San Francisco with a Hum Vee and no guns. I loved it when Ewan McGregor dropped train wheels off on the road. I loved it when Will Smith dodged rolling cars with his silver Ferrari on a Miami highway. I loved it when the Japanese plans blocked the sun.
Come on, any of u critics try to come up with half of those visuals. Then talk to me again. He makes movies for teenage boys. Woo. What a shame. I'm an adult and I still get thrilled by these things, you know why?
Cos I'm a proud member of what most would call the lowest common denominator in society :)
*
Anyway, here's an image of Optimus Prime
Design sorta sucks. But we'll wait and see.



1 Comments:
I actually think that Michael is the best man for the job. The Transformers series, and the following that...err, followed it, has never been built on a strong, substansial storyline. Most of the time, the Autobots or the Decepticons just see each other, pull out their gun...and proceed to completely and utterly miss their opponents 90% of the time :>
As for the designs, well...you should take a look at Megatron. I cannot tell that it is him... :>
Post a Comment
<< Home