Tuesday, September 20, 2005

1998/1999 (more like 1997-2000)

Here's a photo taken sometime in 1998/9, I think. It was taken in the rain.


From left, Tien Ann, Kok Kien, Choon Siong, Ka Yong, Chee Chin, Vincent, Chee Wai, Horng Jin, Giap Chee, myself. (Missing from the picture is our goalie, Yoon Chuan)

This is the most complete picture of my secondary school footballing days. It featured 10 of us, minus the goalie. I can't remember why he's not in the picture. We played as a gang, and later as a team from 1997 to 2000. We all met in form 2, and started playing either at the field behind our school, or a park near my place. We were just this exclusive bunch of boys who loved football.

I remember starting form 3 (1998), boys from other footballing groups around my housing area would come by "our" place to challenge us. We lost the very first time. I remember, 3 - 0. Very clearly. Because I remember that it was that first time that we played as a team that made us want to always play as a team.

We swore vengeance against that nearby bunch of boys, and a week later a trounced them in return. I can't remember the scoreline, but I remember I scored.
(The very interesting thing about me is that in my team, I'm the starting striker, but I hardly score. I find myself passing the ball to the scorer more often than scoring myself. I sucked at football. I can't defend much [because I'm not very tough], I'm not very fast, I can't dribble long [because I get banged over], I can't always score, but I sure can pass. :P)

Basically, we started playing with other guys from our school. We would meet them at the field on Saturday mornings and play against them. For most of 1998, we sucked. We hardly won any games. We did join a school tournament, though. We won the first game 6 - 0 (Again, I was the starting striker, but I did not score. I did, however, pass) then lost the following two. The fact that I can remember the scorelines of the games we won is proof that we hardly won.

Then came 1999. We were form 4. Now this year, we finished undefeated. We played with anyone who played against us on Saturdays. We beat teams with school team players, we beat teams with more renown players, we beat them all. I remember the manner in which we won most games. In 1998 we lost because we tried playing like everyone else. In 1999 we started being kiasu and not want to lose. So we played like Italians, with an army of well orchestrated defenders... with me as the lone striker.
We won most of our games 1-0, I think. I did not score a single goal in 1999 for my gang of friends. But I did, however, made passes.

Too bad we didn't have a tournament that year, or I think we would have stood a chance of winning.

2000, we just played regular football. Win some lose some.

*

That's my footballing career. I saw Tien Ann the other in MPH, and he's working now.

Kok Kien was running a VCD stall in Summit for some years after form 5. He never finished college. I used to get cheap PC games and movies from his shop. It closed down early last year. I have no information of his whereabouts now.

Choon Siong finished his studies in TAR college, and I have no idea where he is now.

Ka Yong returned to Seremban after form 5, and worked with his uncle as a mechanic.

Chee Chin completed his pre-university, then started working in his family's car mechanic shop. We meet up once in a blue moon. He has a girlfriend, and he always tells me about how car salesmen and parts salesmen are super conmen and not to be trusted.

Vincent is my childhood friend. We played with each other since we were toddlers. We remain best friends today.

Chee Wai now works in a bank, having completed his studies in Australia. We used to sing in class to annoy our teacher. Yet despite his nonsense he was one of the most brilliant students.

Horng Jin is currently in Stamford College studying IT. He has miraculously found a girlfriend who is shorter than him. She is a piano teacher as well as a student. We would play pool at times.

Giap Chee and I lost all contact after form 5. I have no idea of his wherabouts.

Yoon Chuan is working now, I think. I see him occasionally. He participates in futsal tournaments, as goalie. He was the only player in our team to ever make the school team.

*

11 boys. 11 futures.

I love blurred pictures sometimes. It forces dormant memories to come alive.

*

I can't believe I just spent 30 minutes blogging about me and football.

1 Comments:

Blogger Stylicious Fashionista said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

The good ol' days... *sniff sniffz*

8:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home