Saturday, September 17, 2005

Monash Graduation 2005

Many of my good friends graduated today. So I decided to be nice to them, so I showed up and took pictures of them and their families. We had a good time. Here are some pics.



Ben's family.


Kerry-Ann's family.


Shazana's family. Every time I set out to photograph events or parties, usually a few pictures stand out more than the rest. Usually it's this ONE picture that I look at and feel that it's a really gratifying picture to take. This pic of Shaz and her family is by far the best pic I took today.

*

Now to some poser shots.


Jia Xin and Michelle.


Kerry and May Yee trying very hard.


Fikri and I squishing two beautful women.


Shazzy and her cousin.


Me and Ben


I took a few black and white photographs of Kerry the academic. I shot this one, and felt that her face looked really beautiful. But she was holding the flowers the wrong way. I took a few more with the flowers held outwards, but this pic still looked the best. Who cares about the flowers, I care about Kerry. See, flowers wither and die. She doesn't.

*

Here's something really stupid. Jia Xin told me to stop taking pictures and get in the picture myself. So I said ok, and as we were about to take the picture, she gave me a few directions as to how she wants the picture to look like. Here's how it should look like, according to her:



Really sweet and all, but...

In truth, what she had asked me to do was this:



She made me bend down so that she would look taller. Vain right?

Then horr, she and Kerry-Anne decided that since everyone had left, they want to do the cap toss thing anyway. So the two dummies did it by themselves.



*

And as always, I need to display one goof pic in every set of photographs that I take. Today's goof pic belongs to...



*

Graduation sometimes sound like a chore, a routine. I generally dislike ceremonies and formalities.

But as I was watching these people, their families, and their smiles through my mechanical eye, I cannot but help realize these fathers, mothers, uncles and aunties were proud of their children. Their smiles, their goofs, their anxiety was centered around their love for their kids, and their pride and their children's successes. For me, I'd say that these moments are far too few, and very precious.

It kinda makes the chore worth enduring.

*

5 Comments:

Blogger lainieyeoh said...

haha...Funny photo of KA

http://www.shades.jeskid.com/
thought you might find this interesting. very childish movie.

6:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha hoi! You were not supposed to let the world know that you were bending your knees!!!

JX

1:47 am  
Blogger Fikri said...

Jolly good

6:25 am  
Blogger Stylicious Fashionista said...

awwwwwwww

Congrats you all!!!!
Lotsa hugs and mwahzzzz!
Lurve yaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh btw, Fikri, you reminded me of that Indian or Punjabi dude from "Mind Your Language"... remember that TV series?? That dude kept saying "jolly good"
=P hehe

8:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahh.. tis meng yoe ah.. geting more and more better. last time direct movies only.. now become photo-man also. so talented. i want to be like him ;P

you doing a great job bro.. and the writing is getting mare and more intense. i like. hope all is good with you. cant wait to see you all.

take care man.

5:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home