How I can love rivals
Juventus has retained its glorious 100% win record since its return to the Serie A. Milan has been on scintilating form lately too. Now to be frank, I know people say that it's impossible to support both Juve and Milan (cos it's like supporting both Malaysia/Singapore, Man Utd/Chelsea, Real/Barca) but I do. It's probably 55% - 45%. More to Juve of course.
I mean, how not to support a team with so many Italian heroes like Maldini, Pirlo, Gatusso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Ambrosini, Gilardino and Oddo, and world class superstars like Kaka, Seedorf, Jankulovski, Kaladze and Dida?
Then, how do you NOT support a team loaded with other Italian heroes like Del Piero (still regarded as my all time number one), Iaquinta, Buffon and Camoranesi (technically Argentinian but ok), and stunning players like Nedved, Trezeguet (the most underused French striker), Tiago, and Jorge Andrare?
But mostly. These are the two teams I saw when I was young. When Milan destroyed Cagliari 6-2 (in my earliest memory of a football match maybe 15 years ago) and Roberto Baggio slammin the goals for Juve and Italy in the mid-90s.
I remember a Man Utd game too. One where they beat Chelsea 4-0 in an FA cup final. Paul Ince scored the last one in the last minute. I remember that too but Man Utd offended me by beating Juve once during a crucial match so nah, they suck. Don't know how that works, but I guess they didn't win my heart.
If I were to name my 20 favorite players that I've seen (as in, in my era) ... not necesarily the best, just my favorites...
Not in order other than the top name.
1. Alessandro Del Piero (Italy)
2. Paolo Maldini (Italy)
3. Pablo Aimar (Argentina)
4. Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
5. Patrick Kluivert (Netherlands)
6. Phillip Cocu (Netherlands)
7. Juan Pablo Sorin (Argentina)
8. Kaka (Brazil)
9. Zinedine Zidane (France)
10. Jay Jay Okocha (Nigeria)
11. Shunsuke Nakamura (Japan)
12. Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
13. Kakha Kaladze (Georgia)
14. Lilian Thuram (France)
15. Karlheinz Riedle (Germany)
16. Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)
17. Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands)
18. Zainal Abidin Hassan (Malaysia)
19. Sergio Conceicao (Portugal)
20. Raul Gonzales (Spain)
This list varies from time to time. If I were to write it again in a week. You'll find Filippo Inzaghi on the list. And maybe Rivaldo. Maybe McManaman or Le Saux. Perhaps Desailly. Probably Edgar Davids and Michael Reizeger. And Zenden. Wait. Where's Trezeguet? And don't forget Romario and Bebeto. Chilavert. Gustavo Poyet. Sinisa Mihailovic (however u spell it), Nakata, Sami Al Jaber, Overmars. Ian Wright (one of the few England players I truly like).
Ah football.
Girls, David Beckham is nowhere near the top 200 on my list.
I mean, how not to support a team with so many Italian heroes like Maldini, Pirlo, Gatusso, Inzaghi, Nesta, Ambrosini, Gilardino and Oddo, and world class superstars like Kaka, Seedorf, Jankulovski, Kaladze and Dida?
Then, how do you NOT support a team loaded with other Italian heroes like Del Piero (still regarded as my all time number one), Iaquinta, Buffon and Camoranesi (technically Argentinian but ok), and stunning players like Nedved, Trezeguet (the most underused French striker), Tiago, and Jorge Andrare?
But mostly. These are the two teams I saw when I was young. When Milan destroyed Cagliari 6-2 (in my earliest memory of a football match maybe 15 years ago) and Roberto Baggio slammin the goals for Juve and Italy in the mid-90s.
I remember a Man Utd game too. One where they beat Chelsea 4-0 in an FA cup final. Paul Ince scored the last one in the last minute. I remember that too but Man Utd offended me by beating Juve once during a crucial match so nah, they suck. Don't know how that works, but I guess they didn't win my heart.
If I were to name my 20 favorite players that I've seen (as in, in my era) ... not necesarily the best, just my favorites...
Not in order other than the top name.
1. Alessandro Del Piero (Italy)
2. Paolo Maldini (Italy)
3. Pablo Aimar (Argentina)
4. Fabio Cannavaro (Italy)
5. Patrick Kluivert (Netherlands)
6. Phillip Cocu (Netherlands)
7. Juan Pablo Sorin (Argentina)
8. Kaka (Brazil)
9. Zinedine Zidane (France)
10. Jay Jay Okocha (Nigeria)
11. Shunsuke Nakamura (Japan)
12. Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
13. Kakha Kaladze (Georgia)
14. Lilian Thuram (France)
15. Karlheinz Riedle (Germany)
16. Gabriel Batistuta (Argentina)
17. Dennis Bergkamp (Netherlands)
18. Zainal Abidin Hassan (Malaysia)
19. Sergio Conceicao (Portugal)
20. Raul Gonzales (Spain)
This list varies from time to time. If I were to write it again in a week. You'll find Filippo Inzaghi on the list. And maybe Rivaldo. Maybe McManaman or Le Saux. Perhaps Desailly. Probably Edgar Davids and Michael Reizeger. And Zenden. Wait. Where's Trezeguet? And don't forget Romario and Bebeto. Chilavert. Gustavo Poyet. Sinisa Mihailovic (however u spell it), Nakata, Sami Al Jaber, Overmars. Ian Wright (one of the few England players I truly like).
Ah football.
Girls, David Beckham is nowhere near the top 200 on my list.



2 Comments:
haha... Kaka's on the top of my favourite football players list =P
n isn't ian wright the guy who travels a lot and does shows for discovery travel and adventure?
Why not Beckham? I personally feel that despite his love of the limelight, he's also a pretty good football player, a dedicated professional who works his socks off.
Not necessarily on your top 20, he has to be. But surely in the top 200 players you have seen...unless you haven't seen that many :>
Post a Comment
<< Home