Sunday, March 11, 2007

Leo Thomas McGarry/John Spencer

I remember this line from a small little movie called Finding Forrester. This guy, Forrester (Sean Connery) wrote a good line in one of his books (fictional book of course)

"The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow"

Am watching Season 7 of The West Wing now, and I actually know the entire storyline before watching it.

But mostly any regular TV watcher would more or less know it's the season where John Spencer would die mid-season. His character, Leo McGarry, would die while running for the vice-presidency with Matt Santos (Jimmy Smits).



7 Seasons of watching him grow from Chief of Staff to heart attack patient to Party Elder to VP candidate. He's not my favorite character by any means. I don't mention him when I talk about the show even though he's the 2nd most important figure (after Martin Sheen).

Ah but when Leo McGarry died. When the scene came on. When Annabeth Schott cried for help. When Donnatella broke the news to Joshua. When Claudia Jean broke the news to Bartlet.

"The rest of those who have gone before us cannot steady the unrest of those to follow"

I knew the episodes would have to come. I knew he had to die. I even know how he would be pronounced dead (my good friend saw to that).

I must confess I shed half a tear. The first time for a TV show. No preparation was sufficient for the departing of the heart of The West Wing. Not to be mean, but Bradley Whitford as the incoming Chief of Staff is nowhere near the charisma/suave juggernaut of John Spencer.

Yes, there are more important things in life. But I think every once in a while everyone should get to wallow in their own personal interests, such as this TV show is to me.

Let no man or woman insult the memory of Leo McGarry, and espcially John Spencer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Fikri said...

I love John Spencer. I feel that as an actor, he was particularly underrated.

Having said that...I like Josh too :>

11:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home