When Songs Don't Jive
Here's a post about songs. Often we associate certain songs with certain events, or certain seasons. Theme songs are supposed to represent something in some way. Like how World Cup winners sing that Queen song We Are The Champions, or how when we think of the old Transformers cartoon we think of Stan Bush's You've Got the Touch (referring mostly to the specialness of Optimus' Prime), and how when we hear Aerosmith's I Don't Want to Miss a Thing we remember Armageddon. When U2 went on their charity tour, including Live8, they sang One as their campaign song to eradicate poverty.
Or how for some people sing certain songs to remember their love lives. I have this friend, Troy, who loves singing along with me Moulin Rouge's theme song, Come What May, because it reminds us of our respective love lives at the time, perhaps.
But sometimes songs remind us of things that makes no sense at all. I realized this when I heard Evanescence's Call Me When You're Sober for the 100th time today, and felt that there is something cyborgian, or robotic, about the music. It's rather sad because toward the end of my writing of my Honours I listened to two songs very very very frequently. Call Me When You're Sober, and I Don't Want to Miss a Thing. I've tried to uncover all sorts of subliminal reasons I listened to these two songs that much, but nope, no explanation.
When I hear U2's City of Blinding Lights, which mostly likely is about New York city and stuff, I think of a computer game, Championship Manager 4. I played the Italian league, English league, Spanish league, and Austrian league, but nothing about city of blinding lights.
When Wet Wet Wet's Love is all Around plays, I think of me playing chase chase with friends in standard 6. Nothing romantic about it.
Thubthumpin makes me think of me lying on the couch sleeping away while I was in form 2.
stuff like that.
Oh and when I hear Never Forget by Take That, I think of my half asleep state when travelling on highways. And imagine the monsters in the caves, or the creatures in the plantations.
*
Sidenotes:
I am currently terribly stuck with something I'm supposed to write for Easter. Abel is writing parts of it, and I wonder how he's holding up.
I'm also terribly stuck with finding a job.
And painfully terribly unable to think of something I want to film.
And slightly agitated that I have 4 separate stories, all half told, sit in a folder.
And blabberishly bothered about a number of things.
And wanting to read everything that's on my table now. But sleep overcomes me most of the time.
Save me.
Or how for some people sing certain songs to remember their love lives. I have this friend, Troy, who loves singing along with me Moulin Rouge's theme song, Come What May, because it reminds us of our respective love lives at the time, perhaps.
But sometimes songs remind us of things that makes no sense at all. I realized this when I heard Evanescence's Call Me When You're Sober for the 100th time today, and felt that there is something cyborgian, or robotic, about the music. It's rather sad because toward the end of my writing of my Honours I listened to two songs very very very frequently. Call Me When You're Sober, and I Don't Want to Miss a Thing. I've tried to uncover all sorts of subliminal reasons I listened to these two songs that much, but nope, no explanation.
When I hear U2's City of Blinding Lights, which mostly likely is about New York city and stuff, I think of a computer game, Championship Manager 4. I played the Italian league, English league, Spanish league, and Austrian league, but nothing about city of blinding lights.
When Wet Wet Wet's Love is all Around plays, I think of me playing chase chase with friends in standard 6. Nothing romantic about it.
Thubthumpin makes me think of me lying on the couch sleeping away while I was in form 2.
stuff like that.
Oh and when I hear Never Forget by Take That, I think of my half asleep state when travelling on highways. And imagine the monsters in the caves, or the creatures in the plantations.
*
Sidenotes:
I am currently terribly stuck with something I'm supposed to write for Easter. Abel is writing parts of it, and I wonder how he's holding up.
I'm also terribly stuck with finding a job.
And painfully terribly unable to think of something I want to film.
And slightly agitated that I have 4 separate stories, all half told, sit in a folder.
And blabberishly bothered about a number of things.
And wanting to read everything that's on my table now. But sleep overcomes me most of the time.
Save me.



2 Comments:
im just as stuck haha
hmmm... u captured something very sublimal there...
Post a Comment
<< Home