Sunday, December 31, 2006

Hi.

One of my campaigns in life is (was) to get shuyi to be polite to me (or anyone for that matter). I use to have this ambition of instilling in her the good habit of saying 'hi' when she speaks to me online. But she never does, of course. And there was this once, she said something very smart when I asked her to say hi after she just ranted off about something that's probably of no interest to me. She said something like, "if we treat this like a conversation that never ends, then we'd never have to say hi" or something like that, and I thought that was very good.

It's a very good way of explaining what I want to explain now. I'm not a very New Year-ish kind of person. Maybe I'm a Christmasy boy, and perhaps a little Easter-ish, and I particularly like being unmarried during Chinese New Year... but I'm not very New Year-ish.

I generally dislike making lists of all sorts of resolutions or anything of that sort. I don't sit down and meditate on the year that has passed and ponder upon the year ahead of me. Mostly it's because I don't believe it's a line that I want to draw. If at any point in my life I need a clean break, I don't wait till December 31st. And I dont' start on January 1st. I like symbols and representations and all that, but this is one I choose not to put too much heart in.

And mostly because life is an ongoing thing whether we partition it off at 365 days a year or 6000 a year. I didn't get to go to my church camp this year, and I don't know what my friends learnt in that camp, but the theme was 'Only One Life'.

And that's the number I think I want to care about. One.

So I don't need to say hi to 2007.

*

Happy New Year

I'm keeping off posting pictures and all that for a couple of days until the lag stops irritating me. I have some lovely photos from my niece's 2nd birthday, Mr.Potatoheads, and a bit of Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home