Friday, July 21, 2006

The Lake House

The Lake House
Directed by Alejandro Agresti
Written by David Auburn
Starring Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Christopher Plummer



There's no such thing as a perfect movie. Sometimes I love the designs (Big Fish), sometimes I love the CGI (Star Wars), sometimes I love the music (Superman Returns), the performances (Mystic River), the script (Pulp Fiction), the action (The Rock), one particular scene (Psycho), oddities (2046) or just a good idea (Howl's Moving Castle).

The Lake House probably gripped my attention with it's clever concept about a woman in the future communicating with a guy in the past, and how little oddities occur due to the time difference. Like if Alex Wyler decides to plant a tree in the year 2004, it'll just pop out of nowhere in the year 2006 because two years has passed. Stuff like that. Great basis for a story. I was ready to be absorbed into one heck of a romance movie. (I was half expecting Big Fish, sorry)

Then I saw Keanu Reeves. And more Keanu Reeves. And Keanu Reeves. And whatever potential the movie had just... vaporized. I don't mind slow movies, but I mind slow movies when the actors don't warm the screen up. Sandra Bullock didn't help much either. A bit better, but not much. The two of them bored me so much even when interesting plot twists occur I felt bored.


Keep thinking. We're out of tricks. We gotta keep the audience sleeping.

Sigh. I even feel bored writing this review. Ending now.

D

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

*yawn*

You ah. Why write this & make me read then...?

4:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagee with you on this one. Personally think it's a superb concept and Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock have a chemistry that is rarely seen these days. You're just jealous of Keanu Reeves because he is cuter and hotter than you. I agree that at some points the movie could be termed as slow but I suppose we can't write a movie off just because of that. I say....this movie is still bearable because they managed to make it climax at the end so it achieved its objective.

10:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he's jealous Sandra Bullock kissed Reeves and not him.

9:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home