Thursday, February 16, 2006

In the Shadow of Two Gunmen and Two Cathedrals

So anyway,
in light of recent news that after season 7, The West Wing will be cancelled, (in Malaysia it's still season 5, so I'm not too upset yet.) I'm going to rant about the most beautiful thing that has ever happened to television.

Well, about 2 weeks ago I bought the DVD for season 2. Even though I've seen everything before some years back, I just wanted to watch everything again. Now, I've been watching season 1 every now and then already, and there is no doubt why it's the Emmy record holder for most awards won for a pilot season.

But season 2? Boy I forgot why I put the series on a pedestal in the first place until watching season 2 again.

There are 23 episodes in season 2. But there are a few episodes that really whammed me in my head. The season openers, called "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen: Parts 1 & 2", about a post-shooting incident at the White House staff and flashbacks to Jed Bartlet's (he's the president) campaigning days. Very brilliant.

Then there's "Noel". Now the thing about the series is that almost every season, their Christmas episode always works. Noel isn't as great as Season 1's "In Excelsis Deo" or Season 4's "Holy Night", but still, it featured Yo-Yo Ma.

And last night I watched "Two Cathedrals", the season finale. Basically it's about how the president announces to the world that he has an incurable disease, and the big question is whether he'll run for re-election. Conveniently, it's also about a dead staff member (who died an episode before), so you can imagine the drama.

A few things.

1) I checked up and realized that all the episodes of The West Wing that I truly hold in high regard, like the three mentioned above, are all directed by Thomas Schlamme. Now the series has three principal directors, Alex Graves, Chris Misiano, and Schlamme. Then they have guest directors to fill in the remaining episodes. Schlamme always gets to direct the season openers, finale, and the most important storylines/biggest budget stories. Graves gets to do everything else that's important, and Misiano is the most regular director for the series.

While many credit Aaron Sorkin's (creator and writer) departure from the series after season 4 to be the main reason why the show went into the black hole after that, I think that Tommy Schlamme's departure played a big part as well. If you don't plan on watching the series at all, just watch the 3 episodes I listed above, and viola, you will be a convert, at least to the skills of his directing.

2) One lesson learnt from "Two Cathedrals".
Doesn't matter what you think about God, or what you say to God, or what you decide about God, even if you're the leader of the free world, if God thinks otherwise, it means that God thinks otherwise.

Argh
Nerd talk.

Watch the series.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home