Crab Cab
Lately we've been hearing/watching a lot of ads about wearing helments, seatbelts, and using public transportation. Those are extremely noble public service ads. It's a salutable message, since I'm one of those guys who think that seatbelt wearing should be enforced, and dee dee daa da and all that. Not gonna start rambling.
Now recently, during Chinese New Year, and today, by whom and which company and which organisation, I can't remember, I've been hearing a few ads that made me raise half an eyebrow.
It's usually the bit about public transportation. The spin is that we should take public transportation because it is a safer means of transportation.
Okay, so I completely agree with the fact that public transportation needs to play a slightly more important role in any modern society. (we'll talk about "modern" another day). From the way I observe it, during peak hours, we don't exactly have enough buses, cabs, and trains as it is, so I won't go so far to say that people aren't using public transportation. We just need to get more railways, more cabs, more public helicopters, and maybe those Star Trek transporters.
Back to what I was saying earlier. Is public transportation safer?
Let me point out that people generally trust private hospitals more than public hospitals. When I say trust, I don't necessarily mean "use" since I do understand private hospitals aren't exactly affordable to many people.
People generally trust private banks more than public banks. Then again, most of our banks are indirectly public anyway, so okay, my fault.
And based on the TIMES top 50 ranking, I think it's understandable why Malaysians if given a choice would really want to enroll in a private institution instead of public institution.
Mind you, this is not a public education, public medication, or public banking bashing session. I actually do think public education should be shoved to the forefront of the country's attention, as it keeps a lot of knowledge based assets as well as real money within our own borders. It'll take 100 years for us to get there, but we'll get there.
And I recognize that our public hospitals is where most of our very capable doctors (not sarcasm here, mind you) come from.
*
Back to my point.
Do you really think our cab drivers are safer? Do you really think our bus drivers are safer? Do you really think our trains are safe?
*
It took me that long to get to my point. Maybe I've been wanting to say all of the above in defense of our government, as well as point out problems of these little misdirected advertising these public service organisations are putting out to people.
*
As one of my colleagues put it. No transportation is really safe. We just never know.
*
Safer my foot.
*
Ding. Morning rant over. back to work.
Now recently, during Chinese New Year, and today, by whom and which company and which organisation, I can't remember, I've been hearing a few ads that made me raise half an eyebrow.
It's usually the bit about public transportation. The spin is that we should take public transportation because it is a safer means of transportation.
Okay, so I completely agree with the fact that public transportation needs to play a slightly more important role in any modern society. (we'll talk about "modern" another day). From the way I observe it, during peak hours, we don't exactly have enough buses, cabs, and trains as it is, so I won't go so far to say that people aren't using public transportation. We just need to get more railways, more cabs, more public helicopters, and maybe those Star Trek transporters.
Back to what I was saying earlier. Is public transportation safer?
Let me point out that people generally trust private hospitals more than public hospitals. When I say trust, I don't necessarily mean "use" since I do understand private hospitals aren't exactly affordable to many people.
People generally trust private banks more than public banks. Then again, most of our banks are indirectly public anyway, so okay, my fault.
And based on the TIMES top 50 ranking, I think it's understandable why Malaysians if given a choice would really want to enroll in a private institution instead of public institution.
Mind you, this is not a public education, public medication, or public banking bashing session. I actually do think public education should be shoved to the forefront of the country's attention, as it keeps a lot of knowledge based assets as well as real money within our own borders. It'll take 100 years for us to get there, but we'll get there.
And I recognize that our public hospitals is where most of our very capable doctors (not sarcasm here, mind you) come from.
*
Back to my point.
Do you really think our cab drivers are safer? Do you really think our bus drivers are safer? Do you really think our trains are safe?
*
It took me that long to get to my point. Maybe I've been wanting to say all of the above in defense of our government, as well as point out problems of these little misdirected advertising these public service organisations are putting out to people.
*
As one of my colleagues put it. No transportation is really safe. We just never know.
*
Safer my foot.
*
Ding. Morning rant over. back to work.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home