The Point of View
I actually prepared this set of stuff for KG (that's cell groups in my CF). I sat in one of the cells and I thought Steven did a good job teaching the lesson. And I have no doubts that the other fellas did good jobs as well.
But thought I'd put my two cents worth on the topic. Part of it, anyway.
You know, in my course, we spend so much time learning about "subject positions" and all that nonsense I figure I might as well use it to explain my perspective of certain scriptures.
So anyway.
Think. Fast. In 2 seconds. Tell me which part of your body do you think is MOST important?
Time's up.
My guess is. You either picked... in no particular order.
1. Eyes
2. Heart
3. Brain
4. Hands
If not. I'm sure you picked something.
Now. Answer me in your most brutally honest self...
Do you want to be a backside?
or more frankly, do you want to be an assh*le?
Truth be told, I don't.
Let me interpret 1 Corinthians 12:12 to 24 for those who picked their favorite organ.
12 For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of thatone body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
13 For by the Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free, and have been made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many...
(fast forward)
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary (Yup, they're neccessary, but that doesn't change the fact that I'M the brain!)
23 And those member of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor, and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness... (Yup, God can remind them backsides and toenails that they're important. Well, i'm the Eye, I KNOW I'm important. I know I'm not less honorable.)
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God has tempered the body together, having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked. (Yup, I think God's right. He should give those asses and back hairs abundant honor. Me being the hands, I KNOW I already have that honor)
25 That there should be no division in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. (Yup, that appendix and liver better get it right, or they're going to fail me, the Heart)
-----
Guess what. I KNOW none of you would agree with me there.
Because I believe its something subconscious.
Ask a 10 year old kid which member of a band would he want to be?
I'd bet you all the coins in my pocket that 7 out of 10 would say "singer".
I liked what Steven did in his group.
Everyone took turns. One said "eyes" so she can see the world, one said "heart", one said "mouth"... stuff like that.
Then Steven said, "so since you all pick everything already, how about me ah? I become the backside ah?"
Everyone laughed. But he made a darn good point there.
Look,
I don't want to be the backside myself.
I don't. I really don't.
But do you think that we really have that choice if God calls us to be that?
Well, actually we do.
We can say yes. Or we can say no.
God promised abundant honor.
Truth be told, do we know what that abundant honor is?
I don't think many of us do.
I really don't think so.
But to think that God would single out those who take the less glorious roles in their Christian walk... It must really mean that God appreciates them.
Because God specifically highlighted them!
God honors everyone who does something, no matter how insignificant it is.
We don't score more points for being the eye.
If the eye fails to see a road block up ahead.
Then it is less glorious than an backside doing its duty by disposing of junk. By leaps and bounds.
It is not the result of grandness that wins the heart of our God, but rather the meeting of the standards set for us by God, which in its own way, is the most grand in the eyes of God.
So do I want to be an assh*le?
No, I sincerely don't.
Most of us are not willing and capable of being willing. And that's fine.
But I think that most of us are capable of praying, "I'm willing to be made willing."
Now that's the thought I'm leaving you with. :)
But thought I'd put my two cents worth on the topic. Part of it, anyway.
You know, in my course, we spend so much time learning about "subject positions" and all that nonsense I figure I might as well use it to explain my perspective of certain scriptures.
So anyway.
Think. Fast. In 2 seconds. Tell me which part of your body do you think is MOST important?
Time's up.
My guess is. You either picked... in no particular order.
1. Eyes
2. Heart
3. Brain
4. Hands
If not. I'm sure you picked something.
Now. Answer me in your most brutally honest self...
Do you want to be a backside?
or more frankly, do you want to be an assh*le?
Truth be told, I don't.
Let me interpret 1 Corinthians 12:12 to 24 for those who picked their favorite organ.
12 For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of thatone body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ.
13 For by the Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free, and have been made to drink into one Spirit.
14 For the body is not one member, but many...
(fast forward)
22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary (Yup, they're neccessary, but that doesn't change the fact that I'M the brain!)
23 And those member of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor, and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness... (Yup, God can remind them backsides and toenails that they're important. Well, i'm the Eye, I KNOW I'm important. I know I'm not less honorable.)
24 For our comely parts have no need: but God has tempered the body together, having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked. (Yup, I think God's right. He should give those asses and back hairs abundant honor. Me being the hands, I KNOW I already have that honor)
25 That there should be no division in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. (Yup, that appendix and liver better get it right, or they're going to fail me, the Heart)
-----
Guess what. I KNOW none of you would agree with me there.
Because I believe its something subconscious.
Ask a 10 year old kid which member of a band would he want to be?
I'd bet you all the coins in my pocket that 7 out of 10 would say "singer".
I liked what Steven did in his group.
Everyone took turns. One said "eyes" so she can see the world, one said "heart", one said "mouth"... stuff like that.
Then Steven said, "so since you all pick everything already, how about me ah? I become the backside ah?"
Everyone laughed. But he made a darn good point there.
Look,
I don't want to be the backside myself.
I don't. I really don't.
But do you think that we really have that choice if God calls us to be that?
Well, actually we do.
We can say yes. Or we can say no.
God promised abundant honor.
Truth be told, do we know what that abundant honor is?
I don't think many of us do.
I really don't think so.
But to think that God would single out those who take the less glorious roles in their Christian walk... It must really mean that God appreciates them.
Because God specifically highlighted them!
God honors everyone who does something, no matter how insignificant it is.
We don't score more points for being the eye.
If the eye fails to see a road block up ahead.
Then it is less glorious than an backside doing its duty by disposing of junk. By leaps and bounds.
It is not the result of grandness that wins the heart of our God, but rather the meeting of the standards set for us by God, which in its own way, is the most grand in the eyes of God.
So do I want to be an assh*le?
No, I sincerely don't.
Most of us are not willing and capable of being willing. And that's fine.
But I think that most of us are capable of praying, "I'm willing to be made willing."
Now that's the thought I'm leaving you with. :)



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home