Friday, May 26, 2006

X-Men: The Last Stand

The review we've all been waiting for

Directed by Brett Ratner
Starring: The X-Men and the Brotherhood of Mutants

Sypnosis: Humans discover a "cure" to surpress the mutant X gene. The source of the cure is Leech, a kid who has the ability to neutralize mutant powers. Magneto wants to destroy the kid and make war on the humans. The X-Men want to stop him.

Actually, that pretty much sums up the entire movie.



X-MEN 3 IS A KICK BUTT MOVIE THAT SHOULD NOT BE MISSED.

I tip my hat off to Brett Ratner for a job well done. Naturally, I'll have to compare him to Bryan Singer a bit.

Bryan Singer is high on subtle emotions, high on storytelling, and low on kick butt.
Brett Ratner is high on extreme emotions, high on kick butt, and extremely high on kick butt.
So take your according to your taste. Personally I'd go for the Singerish style and subtety, but that's not to say Ratner did bad. In fact, he did good!

Every moment was a breathtaking moment in terms of action. Phoenix is perhaps the coolest character in the trilogy (ok, maybe Nightcrawler was cooler in X2, but never mind). The graphics were a tad comicish, but no complaints anyway. The score deviated its main theme from the Michael Kamen stuff, but good music anyway. I'll probably buy the CD. The photography was a bit cheesy, scrolling thru every single X-Men with a "we're all gonna die" look before going to war... Couple of pointless action sequences which didn't strike me as pointless at the time cos the action was so cool anyway.



Only real gripe I got, is that he didn't explore the subplots well enough. The movie turned out to be 1 & 1/2 hours long. If only he spent 15 more minutes developing the dillemma of mutants wanting/rejecting the notion of a cure to be human again, the movie would've been PERFECT.

Oh, one more big gripe. Iceman and Pyro are idiots. The biggest fight since Samson fought David in the Bible and it turned out to be Harry Potter vs Voldemort. Such idiots.



But overall. Brilliant. I went "WOOO" the moment I saw the last scene. I clapped when Kitty Pryde beat up baddies (actually my heart clapped at every Kitty Pryde scene). And yes, I... erm... shed a tear once. Definitely the most emotionally brutal and tragic of the three.

I will sound mean saying this, but Bryan Singer's X-Men and X2 set the stage for X3 very nicely. That's not taking away any credit from Ratner, but rather, Ratner lived up to the hype of X-Men, and filled in the gap marvellously. I'm not going to imagine the "what if Bryan Singer made it" scenario.

Very few movies do that to me. This is one of the times where I have to say, Yes I was wrong to doubt Brett Ratner. I can eat my shu, I mean, shoe, now.

Oh, stay till the credits roll out completely. You'll never see what's coming.


*

Rating: B

I actually said after the show, "Superman can go die."

hm.


other reviewed movies
The Da Vinci Code
Ice Age 2: The Meltdown
Gubra
The Inside Man
V for Vendetta
Howl's Moving Castle

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya lor.

so.

go die.

:P

1:36 am  
Blogger lee wei said...

eh you tell us not to tell people that you uhhh shed a tear...but you sendiri go and tell.

apalah.
useless.

1:53 am  
Blogger .... said...

wah never invite me! I thought we were friends! Jk!

Glad its good. Cant wait to watch it.

8:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home