Friday, May 19, 2006

The West Wing Tribute

The West Wing series finale was finally aired earlier this week in the USA. I'm still stuck somewhere in season 5 (7 seasons in total), but I figure it is best to say what I want to say now, since the series just ended.

The last few years, I've only been bragging about how well the show has done... (4 time best drama series. Domination in all the acting categories... Allison Janney a 5 time Emmy winner...etc) So now I'm going to tell you why I like the series so much.

It's the best stuff ever written for the screen (big or small). Best technical stuff for an almost uncreative workspace, the white house offices. bla bla bla. I can ramble about the brilliance of all these things, but I can do so for many other TV series as well, such as E.R., X-files, bla bla.

So the number one reason is that I can identify with all the characters. Every single character in The West Wing either has a thing or two about them that reminds me of myself, or have certain qualities that I truly desire. Add that with a touch of good acting, it's magic every week.

So this is a narcissistic post about how each of the characters remind me of something about myself. Endure if you want to.

*


Leo McGarry - Chief of Staff (John Spencer)
Even though he's one of the biggest cast member in the series, he's actually one of my lesser favorites, but only because he's too rational, something which I'm not. He's a workaholic, sometimes at the expense of other people's feelings. But it tickles me everytime he gets a bit childish, which is sometimes I like to find in serious people, cos it cracks me up.


Sam Seaborn - Deputy Communications Director (Rob Lowe)
He is a fantastic writer in the series. But he's also a big baffoon. He's a 17 year old boy trapped in a 30 year old body. Loses his tongue with women he likes; gets all confused when everyone plays tricks on him; acts the true nerd like the president by knowing almost everything; and being rather feminine sometimes. Bulliable in every way. Enuff said.


Claudia Jean Cregg - Press Secretary (Allison Janney)
My second most favorite character, CJ is the sharpest tongue when handling reporters, but the blurrest case when handling colleagues. She says wrong things all the time, and is by and large, a bit stupid. She reminds me of myself a lot in terms of how I handle my things. I can be a real doofus, and try very hard to pretend I know everything. (Hey, I study communications. It's my trade)


Josh Lyman - Deputy Chief of Staff (Bradley Whitford) and Donatella Moss - Josh's assistant (Janel Maloney)
Josh is the boring-est character, and that's always highlighted by his assistant, Donna. Josh is the exact opposite of his immediate boss, Leo, because a) he's smarter, and b) but he's not as capable. He's the most outwardly cocky staff member who loves to brag about everything, and everything. (He once told Charlie, "your grades are better than mine... well, not really, but pretty close"... He also said, "I hate it when the president listens to ANYONE but me.") Okay, I think those who know me gets the picture of why I think I'm like him sometimes.

And Donna, well. Stupid as it may sound. Want a lesson on true love, watch her. She is stupid. Does stupid things. Does morally wrong things. But at the end of the day, well. Well. Okay.


Charlie Young - Personal Assistant to the President (Dule Hill)
Easy to describe. He tries very hard to be the best, and always wonders if he's really doing his best. His fears about himself reminds me of some of my fears.


Abigail Bartlet - First Lady (Stockhard Channing)
Now this is one tough lady. If you can't love a woman like her, I don't know what men are looking for.


Jed Bartlet - President (Martin Sheen)
He's funny. He's a real nerd. He's temperamental. He's charismatic. He tells lies. He makes mistakes. I suppose he's human, and that reminds me very often that even the most lovable president in the world (I think by and large people prefer him to any real president) is far from perfect, but it is in the ability to rise again, and again, and again, that makes Jed Bartlet... well, Jed Bartlet.


Toby Ziegler - Communications Director (Richard Schiff)
He's well. Tell u what, I'll tell you what my friend said about me.
"First few days I met you. I was intimidated. You had this 'do not disturb me', 'go away', 'i don't care' aura all the time." She said something like that.
That's Toby for you. Easily my favorite character.

*

It's easy to find ONE or TWO characters u identify with in a movie or a series. I found 6 or 7 here. No joke.

It's the best series ever made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home