Scaling the Brokeback and More
Okay. Let's talk about Brokeback Mountain.
I figured since I made numerous postings on Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha (and a lot of other notably good and bad films), I should at least write a few paragraphs about the most talked about show for the awards season: Brokeback Mountain.

So a lot has been said about it. Gay movie... too liberal... shouldn't watch it because it compromises your values... da di da... beautiful movie... celebration of true love... da di da
Final conclusion.
It's ok lah. It's a good movie. Beautifully shot, consistently cut, well written, and appropriately acted.
That's all I got to say about that.
*
But I don't like it.
I found myself having to add a disclaimer after every time I say I don't like. I don't like it not because I'm a homophobe. I disagree with homosexuality, but I don't distance myself from or judge people for that.
I dislike the show because it's not my kind of movie. It's a cowboy-ish western thing, which doesn't appeal to me. And it's Ang Lee, whose films are generally not my type anyway. Look, I completely loathed Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Thought it was a piece of dung.
*
I've read many articles about why a Christian shouldn't watch Brokeback Mountain. I agree with most of them, really, being a Christian myself. But I watched it anyway. Those who know me well enough know that I'm the sort who must know what I'm dealing with in terms of arts/media/literature stuff. Yes I've read Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, countless Anti-Christ like horror movies, gay movies lesbian movies, blasphemous books bla bla bla.


*
I understand that there is a sentiment that if you already know it's something that's X-rated, or theologically unsound, there's no need to read/watch it. Just like how you don't open porn mails because you know it's porn.
Put it this way. There is a need, in the case of highly debated issues (whether or it should be a debated issue to you does not matter. It is being debated), to understand the debate inside out. If I had not read the Da Vinci code, and I sat down with a Da Vinci Code advocate. The conversation would be like this:
"So TMY, I hear Jesus was married."
"He wasn't."
"Really? I also hear Christian festivals are pagan in origin."
"I'm quite sure that's not true."
"Mmmm. So did you know that Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings tell Jesus stories that no one wants to hear?"
"Ummm. Like what?"
"Did you also know that Mary was one of the disciples of Christ, and everyone erased her from the Bible you know?"
"No, I'm quite sure that's not true."
*
In short. I'd look like an idiot. And I don't mind looking like an idiot. What I mind is being stepped all over in something that we should not be stepped over with.
I admire those who have read it, and have done their research, and in their own ways, have found their faith grow by leaps and bounds in facing up to challenges that the media is putting us up to.
I do not have all the answers, but I sure am working on it.
*
Just like Brokeback Mountain. I needed to know why this particular gay movie has struck more chords than any other gay movies to date. Other homosexual-themed movies like The Hours, Being John Malkovich, Birdcage, Angels in America, and many others has garnered critical acclaim, but has not sent ripples of headlines all over the world.
This one has, and I want to know why.
*
Also, a friend put it succinctly and beautifully. She said, "hello I'm a comm student... i'll watch anything =)" (ok that sounds a bit totalizing. I won't watch everything, but you catch my drift)
*
Imagine if all the Christians in the world shut both eyes, and both ears to everything that is deemed unsuitable for our sacred souls. We'd be blasted back into the stone age, stampeded by the mass, and ultimately severed and rendered out of touch with the rest of the world.
And isn't that something we can't afford to lose?
*
If you're part of the conservative group and you are by now calling me names, denouncing my blog, my faith, my testimony yadda yadda. Let me say this- don't visit this site lah.
I figured since I made numerous postings on Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha (and a lot of other notably good and bad films), I should at least write a few paragraphs about the most talked about show for the awards season: Brokeback Mountain.

So a lot has been said about it. Gay movie... too liberal... shouldn't watch it because it compromises your values... da di da... beautiful movie... celebration of true love... da di da
Final conclusion.
It's ok lah. It's a good movie. Beautifully shot, consistently cut, well written, and appropriately acted.
That's all I got to say about that.
*
But I don't like it.
I found myself having to add a disclaimer after every time I say I don't like. I don't like it not because I'm a homophobe. I disagree with homosexuality, but I don't distance myself from or judge people for that.
I dislike the show because it's not my kind of movie. It's a cowboy-ish western thing, which doesn't appeal to me. And it's Ang Lee, whose films are generally not my type anyway. Look, I completely loathed Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Thought it was a piece of dung.
*
I've read many articles about why a Christian shouldn't watch Brokeback Mountain. I agree with most of them, really, being a Christian myself. But I watched it anyway. Those who know me well enough know that I'm the sort who must know what I'm dealing with in terms of arts/media/literature stuff. Yes I've read Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, countless Anti-Christ like horror movies, gay movies lesbian movies, blasphemous books bla bla bla.


*
I understand that there is a sentiment that if you already know it's something that's X-rated, or theologically unsound, there's no need to read/watch it. Just like how you don't open porn mails because you know it's porn.
Put it this way. There is a need, in the case of highly debated issues (whether or it should be a debated issue to you does not matter. It is being debated), to understand the debate inside out. If I had not read the Da Vinci code, and I sat down with a Da Vinci Code advocate. The conversation would be like this:
"So TMY, I hear Jesus was married."
"He wasn't."
"Really? I also hear Christian festivals are pagan in origin."
"I'm quite sure that's not true."
"Mmmm. So did you know that Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings tell Jesus stories that no one wants to hear?"
"Ummm. Like what?"
"Did you also know that Mary was one of the disciples of Christ, and everyone erased her from the Bible you know?"
"No, I'm quite sure that's not true."
*
In short. I'd look like an idiot. And I don't mind looking like an idiot. What I mind is being stepped all over in something that we should not be stepped over with.
I admire those who have read it, and have done their research, and in their own ways, have found their faith grow by leaps and bounds in facing up to challenges that the media is putting us up to.
I do not have all the answers, but I sure am working on it.
*
Just like Brokeback Mountain. I needed to know why this particular gay movie has struck more chords than any other gay movies to date. Other homosexual-themed movies like The Hours, Being John Malkovich, Birdcage, Angels in America, and many others has garnered critical acclaim, but has not sent ripples of headlines all over the world.
This one has, and I want to know why.
*
Also, a friend put it succinctly and beautifully. She said, "hello I'm a comm student... i'll watch anything =)" (ok that sounds a bit totalizing. I won't watch everything, but you catch my drift)
*
Imagine if all the Christians in the world shut both eyes, and both ears to everything that is deemed unsuitable for our sacred souls. We'd be blasted back into the stone age, stampeded by the mass, and ultimately severed and rendered out of touch with the rest of the world.
And isn't that something we can't afford to lose?
*
If you're part of the conservative group and you are by now calling me names, denouncing my blog, my faith, my testimony yadda yadda. Let me say this- don't visit this site lah.



2 Comments:
Well put, from a Christian objective. Exactly how I felt about Da Vinci code as well. In fact, DVC opens up a lot of avenue for discussion, in an otherwise deaf world.
I agree wif u.
& I don't agree wif u.
Post a Comment
<< Home