The Geisha Laugh
Ok when I'm bored, I copy and paste things for you guys to read.
I have nothing to do with this message board thread. I promise. It's from IMDb.com about Memoirs of a Geisha. The thread title is "in reply to Chiense/Japanese diffrence question"
The first entry I'm pasting is the original posting. Then the following are some of the replies that I found interesting.
*
Americans think all Asians look the same.
Asians thinks all Americans/Eurpoeans looks the same.
Asians can tell great difference among Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Vietnam.. oh yea and you know INDIA is also Asia, for American eyes to differenciate the great physical difference. Chiense and Japanese ARE racially different, not metioning that intermarriage is JUST starting to blend the races.
Chiense and Japanese DO LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT. but taht does not matter to an American eye as much as it matters to Asian eyes... yes, they act different too... but I thought the movie trained the actresses well in terms of gesture.
Back in the days around 70's / 80's remember myriad hollywood movies used Vietnamese to substitute Chiense roles? that is halarious because they DO NOT look chinese at all... just wanted to throw that out.
Oh and another thing is - history. Chinese and Japanese have a bitter history (WWII) believe it or not, its only 50 years ago, and ppl still remember. The three actresses that played the role are currently being spit upon by the mainlanders, the movie is banned in China.
I love all races -
ok.. thats all...
*
When you say American, do you mean white? Because I'm also an American, and I for sure as hell ain't white. This post is pretty offensive to me, because you're trying to make a point that Asians can't be Americans as well...
*
I dont mean to generalize...
of course Asians can be Americans.
its just known that a lot of Americans cant tell the difference between Chiense and Japanese... not saying all of them u know..
*
One thing should be corrected. Taiwan is one part of china, so the people living in there are also chinese!
And I don't know whether u r asian. As a chinese, I only can tell the difference among east asians by the way they dressing and the language they speaking.
*
"Taiwan is one part of china, so the people living in there are also chinese ..
is arguable"... its a sensitive political topic.
There is actually a group of Taiwanese that is pure bread Taiwanese, but later Taiwan's populated by Chinese from China that decided to flee from Communism.
People still debate if Taiwan is part of China, but for now they have seperate government systems and presidents.
And Yes, Living in Taiwan for 20 years, I can tell the difference between pure bred Taiwanese and Chinese. Of course, the line of difference in the world is becoming thinner and thinner due to intermarriages.
that all..
*
Don't Native Taiwanese only make up about 3-5% of the entire island!?
*
here is a liquor store owner near to where I live who I constantly thought was Korean. He is bulky, round face, single eyelid, pointed nose, small lip, and since the majority of the Asian liquor store owners in America are Korean, so you would just assume he is Korean by first sight. But one day when I heard him having conversation with his wife in Mandarin Chinese, I found out he was actually Chinese.
*
I'm afraid to say that you are talking utter rubbish.
You CAN tell the difference between people from Vietnam, Thailand from China, Japan and Korea.
But you can hardly tell the difference between somebody from Japan and China by looks alone. Sure, their clothes or their mannerisms might give them away. But just their looks? No way. You just like to think that you can.
Also, how can you tell the difference between people from Taiwan and China?! Crazy.
*
There are zero differences between Americans and Canadians... Unless, you're talking about Natives, all they are are a bunch of imigrants from Europe, Africa and Asia...
*
hello, yes there is a difference between canadians and americans. thats like saying australians and kiwis are the same! or austrians and germans!
*
"""But I'm pretty sure that most Spanish would be able to tell Italians apart from themselves (and vice versa)since they have been living in that region all the time."""
*
-end-
I like having a good read about brainless things.
I have nothing to do with this message board thread. I promise. It's from IMDb.com about Memoirs of a Geisha. The thread title is "in reply to Chiense/Japanese diffrence question"
The first entry I'm pasting is the original posting. Then the following are some of the replies that I found interesting.
*
Americans think all Asians look the same.
Asians thinks all Americans/Eurpoeans looks the same.
Asians can tell great difference among Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Taiwanese, Vietnam.. oh yea and you know INDIA is also Asia, for American eyes to differenciate the great physical difference. Chiense and Japanese ARE racially different, not metioning that intermarriage is JUST starting to blend the races.
Chiense and Japanese DO LOOK TOTALLY DIFFERENT. but taht does not matter to an American eye as much as it matters to Asian eyes... yes, they act different too... but I thought the movie trained the actresses well in terms of gesture.
Back in the days around 70's / 80's remember myriad hollywood movies used Vietnamese to substitute Chiense roles? that is halarious because they DO NOT look chinese at all... just wanted to throw that out.
Oh and another thing is - history. Chinese and Japanese have a bitter history (WWII) believe it or not, its only 50 years ago, and ppl still remember. The three actresses that played the role are currently being spit upon by the mainlanders, the movie is banned in China.
I love all races -
ok.. thats all...
*
When you say American, do you mean white? Because I'm also an American, and I for sure as hell ain't white. This post is pretty offensive to me, because you're trying to make a point that Asians can't be Americans as well...
*
I dont mean to generalize...
of course Asians can be Americans.
its just known that a lot of Americans cant tell the difference between Chiense and Japanese... not saying all of them u know..
*
One thing should be corrected. Taiwan is one part of china, so the people living in there are also chinese!
And I don't know whether u r asian. As a chinese, I only can tell the difference among east asians by the way they dressing and the language they speaking.
*
"Taiwan is one part of china, so the people living in there are also chinese ..
is arguable"... its a sensitive political topic.
There is actually a group of Taiwanese that is pure bread Taiwanese, but later Taiwan's populated by Chinese from China that decided to flee from Communism.
People still debate if Taiwan is part of China, but for now they have seperate government systems and presidents.
And Yes, Living in Taiwan for 20 years, I can tell the difference between pure bred Taiwanese and Chinese. Of course, the line of difference in the world is becoming thinner and thinner due to intermarriages.
that all..
*
Don't Native Taiwanese only make up about 3-5% of the entire island!?
*
here is a liquor store owner near to where I live who I constantly thought was Korean. He is bulky, round face, single eyelid, pointed nose, small lip, and since the majority of the Asian liquor store owners in America are Korean, so you would just assume he is Korean by first sight. But one day when I heard him having conversation with his wife in Mandarin Chinese, I found out he was actually Chinese.
*
I'm afraid to say that you are talking utter rubbish.
You CAN tell the difference between people from Vietnam, Thailand from China, Japan and Korea.
But you can hardly tell the difference between somebody from Japan and China by looks alone. Sure, their clothes or their mannerisms might give them away. But just their looks? No way. You just like to think that you can.
Also, how can you tell the difference between people from Taiwan and China?! Crazy.
*
There are zero differences between Americans and Canadians... Unless, you're talking about Natives, all they are are a bunch of imigrants from Europe, Africa and Asia...
*
hello, yes there is a difference between canadians and americans. thats like saying australians and kiwis are the same! or austrians and germans!
*
"""But I'm pretty sure that most Spanish would be able to tell Italians apart from themselves (and vice versa)since they have been living in that region all the time."""
*
-end-
I like having a good read about brainless things.



3 Comments:
one word....
Ohmigoodness me!
Very heated debate -- all that just cos of Geisha.
they can be quite racist huh? Loved the comment that said "it's slike saying there's no diff fbetween austrians and germans and kiwis and aussies" lolz
So, TMY, did you give them your two cents worth??
Oh one more thing... I don't see people complaining about Lea Salonga in the title role of "Miss Saigon" the Musical. Hrm.. She even won a Tony Award for it.. and hey, she's Filippino!!
I know for a fact that most westerners can't tell the difference between a Malay or a Chinese. And I guess viceversa.
Malaysia is a special case, where we have so much intermarriages that it is getting hard to tell the ethnic group by looks alone.
Post a Comment
<< Home