Wednesday, December 07, 2005

More About Superheroes

No la, this is not a poll. Maybe next week, or next year.

I just saw the trailer for X-Men 3, and well... superherohype commented that "It looks like director Brett Ratner is doing an amazing job picking up the legacy from Bryan Singer, who helmed the first two films."

Aiyoh please la. It doesn't show at all la.

The designs may look faithful to the Bryan Singer designs, but the feel of show is not Singer-ish at all. A good example would be to see the teaser trailer for Superman Returns, the movie that Singer ditched X-Men for. Superman Returns feels more like X-Men, as compared to X-Men 3.

It looks too colorful. The new designs look unjustifably stupid (as compared to the first two movies, where the designs look justifiably stupid, which results in it looking very cool instead). Juggernaut looks like He-Man brought to life (speaking of which, John Woo IS making a He-Man movie in the near future).

A few scenes gives me the idea that this might turn out to be some sort of... well... let's kill everybody sort of movie. Hmm. Mortal Kombat 2 comes to mind. Now that show deserves a freebie on my rating scale.



Okay. That being all said, I must move on to what I see as potential for this movie. It doesn't look ALL that bad. I'm only ranting because I REALLY like the Bryan Singer stuff in the first 2 movies.

For example, Archangel/Angel isn't my favorite character in the comics, but here he looks rather cool Nothing special, but cool.



Of course, the lovable few returns, which give me some hope. I love Halle Berry's movies and Hugh Jackman has been spectacular so far. Anna Paquin has always been one of the most beautiful actresses to me, and James Marsden as Cyclops is... well... Cyclops.



The one plotline that is sure to make things interesting is the return of Jean Grey/Phoenix. The most popular question surrounding this movie (other than who the hell is going to direct it, some months back that is) is "Is it going to be a Dark Phoenix story?" where Jean Grey (Famke Jansen) comes back as phoenix incarnate, bent on destroying the world.

The teaser answered part of that. Jean Grey will have screen time as a member of Magneto's team (the acolytes, I presume, unless Ratner decides to call them Thundercats or something like that), and I like the look on her face.



Much better than Hayden Christensen looking like Darth Vader huh.

*

So unless there are delays, next year's box office battle of the year will be between




Who will triumph?

The world's greatest superheroes, or the world's greatest superhero?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home