Ten Most Influential Films - No.8
No.8
ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO
directed by Robert Rodriguez
starring Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Johnny Depp, Willem Dafoe, Mickey Rourke, Eva Mendes

It's a only a matter of time before a Robert Rodriguez film pops up somewhere on my list. I've yet to watch Sin City, of which the trailer would fall under the "10 most influential trailers of all time" list if such a list existed. But until then, I must say that Once Upon a Time in Mexico inspired me on many levels about a great many things.
I do realize that if I were to put a poll out in the field, Once Upon a Time in Mexico would probably rank the highest in the "I didn't expect this show to be on the list" category.


Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek and Johnny Depp take the lead in Once Upon a Time in Mexico
So what is it about Robert Rodriguez's films that intrigue me? Well, it's the way he makes them! I have to be careful here to not turn this into a Robert Rodriguez tribute post. So let's stick to Mexico.
I've not seen the original Desperado movie, El Mariachi. But I have seen Desperado, and that one kinda stinks to me, despite all its coolness. Most of the third installment's influence on me has a lot to do with my increasing interest in making films. I watched this film with some knowledge about Robert Rodriguez beforehand. Here are some facts:
1) He makes films at a very low cost. Spy Kids cost 35 million dollars. Desperado cost 7 million dollars. Sin City cost 45 million dollars. Once Upon a Time in Mexico cost 28 million dollars.
In comparison. There are many 100 million dollar shows that stink.
2) He does most of the work. he directed, scripted, edited, photographed, scored and produced the this film. In Spy Kids, he also was the visual effects supervisor. You can call him a dictator, but I call it multi-talented.

Salma Hayek is certainly no sexy pushover in Mexico, as she pumps bullets into almost every living being who stands in her way
So with the above two bits of information in my head, I watched Mexico. And certainly, even today, the film gives me a sort of assurance that small time filmmakers can make it big with a bit of determination and creativity.
The storyline for Mexico is highly simple. It's ultimately a story about a triple-cross, where everyone is betraying everyone, and El Mariachi (Banderas) is the goody goody hero who is merciless when handling evil and love-sick at the same time. Everything about this show is bang bang bang bang, and this film is a good example of why special effects isn't the one and only way to make an action film these days.
Then, you throw in Johnny Depp's role as the CIA agent in the film, and somehow, you've got the formula for a financial blockbuster. Johnny Depp plays an ambigious agent, trying to topple everyone in the game at the same time. His intentions are unclear, and it works to the film's advantage by heightening the suspense of allegiances (though one can argue that there are no true allegiances in latin mafia shows, which is quite true). A lot of Johnny Depp's scenes involve him and the telephone, him and Eva Mendes, him and a boy (which really is his best bit), and him and his empty eye sockets (this is the better best bit).

Eva Mendes just can't resist sticking her lips on Johnny Depp, even though he's blind. Guess a little left of him is still attractive huh?
When I watch movies, I really don't go ALL OUT for storyline, or for acting, as a lot of elitists do (no offense la). If a story is bad, then it IS bad, but there are other things to see! SEE-ing things is what matters most to me in film. I don't just try to watch a good story, but I also try to enjoy visual splendours.
In the case of Mexico, the style of the characters definitely stand out (trademark of Robert Rodriguez), and their appearance alone causes every flaw in the film to fade away.
All the bush-beating aside, one of my short films Psycho 3: A Cross Cultural and Intergalactic Mystery is heavily influenced by Mexico. Certainly, by watching Mexico, I can't help but feel a sense of "If he can do it the cheap way. Who's to say I can't?"
And that's what really inspires me.

Quotes from Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Agent Sands (to El Mariachi)
"El, you really must try this because it's puerco pibil. It's a slow-roasted pork, nothing fancy. It just happens to be my favorite, and I order it with a tequila and lime in every dive I go to in this country. And honestly, that is the best it's ever been anywhere. In fact, it's too good. It's so good that when I'm finished, I'll pay my check, walk straight into the kitchen and shoot the cook. Because that's what I do. I restore the balance to this country. And that is what I would like from you right now. Help keep the balance by pulling the trigger. "
ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO
directed by Robert Rodriguez
starring Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Johnny Depp, Willem Dafoe, Mickey Rourke, Eva Mendes

It's a only a matter of time before a Robert Rodriguez film pops up somewhere on my list. I've yet to watch Sin City, of which the trailer would fall under the "10 most influential trailers of all time" list if such a list existed. But until then, I must say that Once Upon a Time in Mexico inspired me on many levels about a great many things.
I do realize that if I were to put a poll out in the field, Once Upon a Time in Mexico would probably rank the highest in the "I didn't expect this show to be on the list" category.


Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek and Johnny Depp take the lead in Once Upon a Time in Mexico
So what is it about Robert Rodriguez's films that intrigue me? Well, it's the way he makes them! I have to be careful here to not turn this into a Robert Rodriguez tribute post. So let's stick to Mexico.
I've not seen the original Desperado movie, El Mariachi. But I have seen Desperado, and that one kinda stinks to me, despite all its coolness. Most of the third installment's influence on me has a lot to do with my increasing interest in making films. I watched this film with some knowledge about Robert Rodriguez beforehand. Here are some facts:
1) He makes films at a very low cost. Spy Kids cost 35 million dollars. Desperado cost 7 million dollars. Sin City cost 45 million dollars. Once Upon a Time in Mexico cost 28 million dollars.
In comparison. There are many 100 million dollar shows that stink.
2) He does most of the work. he directed, scripted, edited, photographed, scored and produced the this film. In Spy Kids, he also was the visual effects supervisor. You can call him a dictator, but I call it multi-talented.

Salma Hayek is certainly no sexy pushover in Mexico, as she pumps bullets into almost every living being who stands in her way
So with the above two bits of information in my head, I watched Mexico. And certainly, even today, the film gives me a sort of assurance that small time filmmakers can make it big with a bit of determination and creativity.
The storyline for Mexico is highly simple. It's ultimately a story about a triple-cross, where everyone is betraying everyone, and El Mariachi (Banderas) is the goody goody hero who is merciless when handling evil and love-sick at the same time. Everything about this show is bang bang bang bang, and this film is a good example of why special effects isn't the one and only way to make an action film these days.
Then, you throw in Johnny Depp's role as the CIA agent in the film, and somehow, you've got the formula for a financial blockbuster. Johnny Depp plays an ambigious agent, trying to topple everyone in the game at the same time. His intentions are unclear, and it works to the film's advantage by heightening the suspense of allegiances (though one can argue that there are no true allegiances in latin mafia shows, which is quite true). A lot of Johnny Depp's scenes involve him and the telephone, him and Eva Mendes, him and a boy (which really is his best bit), and him and his empty eye sockets (this is the better best bit).

Eva Mendes just can't resist sticking her lips on Johnny Depp, even though he's blind. Guess a little left of him is still attractive huh?
When I watch movies, I really don't go ALL OUT for storyline, or for acting, as a lot of elitists do (no offense la). If a story is bad, then it IS bad, but there are other things to see! SEE-ing things is what matters most to me in film. I don't just try to watch a good story, but I also try to enjoy visual splendours.
In the case of Mexico, the style of the characters definitely stand out (trademark of Robert Rodriguez), and their appearance alone causes every flaw in the film to fade away.
All the bush-beating aside, one of my short films Psycho 3: A Cross Cultural and Intergalactic Mystery is heavily influenced by Mexico. Certainly, by watching Mexico, I can't help but feel a sense of "If he can do it the cheap way. Who's to say I can't?"
And that's what really inspires me.

Quotes from Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Agent Sands (to El Mariachi)
"El, you really must try this because it's puerco pibil. It's a slow-roasted pork, nothing fancy. It just happens to be my favorite, and I order it with a tequila and lime in every dive I go to in this country. And honestly, that is the best it's ever been anywhere. In fact, it's too good. It's so good that when I'm finished, I'll pay my check, walk straight into the kitchen and shoot the cook. Because that's what I do. I restore the balance to this country. And that is what I would like from you right now. Help keep the balance by pulling the trigger. "



3 Comments:
Movies movies movies...
They thrill & delight. They disappoint & excite. They take you places you never thought possible, & while you linger they remind you what wonders this world holds for us.
Wonderful indeed. But most times we already know the ending. Or at least most times there is a good conclusion. Not so with life. Plus, in life, there ain't no dress rehearsals.
I consider how a movie makes me FEEL to be the most important aspect. But I do agree that the storyline isn't everyhing.
Having said that, I haven't seen 'Mexico'. Now that you've given it such a big thumbs up (though your thumbs aren't that big), I'll make an effort to.
your reviews remind me of that at http://suckball.com. go check it out if you're free, just for laughs :) if you get offended easily then...hehe.
melody
Post a Comment
<< Home