Some Shift Things for Your Consideration, Well, more like MY consideration. But some for your consideration too. Oh shush.
Dear all,
The last time I posted something was during Christmas. Before that I posted some ambiguous stuff about my losing interest in blogging here anymore. The truth of the matter is, I've outgrown 'Mental Toys'. I set it up some time three years ago at the urging of the then very green and innocent Sze Ning (whom I hope is still innocent, but less green. But she's brown-ish. Nvm). I was inspired her commitment to journal her life's experiences online, while at the same time using this space as an avenue to get stuff out there.
The field is crowded, of course, but it's still public. So it was worth the shot, and it still is. Of course, we could get into the whole dynamics of targeting specific audiences and stuff like that. But that's not the point. The point is to actually have stuff out here in cyberspace and it's open to an infinite amount of possibilities. Never know, Prime Minister might stumble on your blog.
Ok rambling.
So I blogged, under the inspired 'Mental Toys' mantra. Everything is up for grabs. All stories can be twisted, perversed, messed about, made fun of, and told. I think the one true season where I think this blog lived up to its own name was when I was in the 2nd/3rd year of my studies in Monash. The 50 something Wasting Away posts, while best to be read by internal audiences, served as the centerpiece of absolute stupidity, with fresh stories of lunacy produced and served on a silver platter mostly by Sarah Jane, and sometimes, the other friends.
It was mostly half truths, and half lies. But the state of my mind was an honest one as presented here. I liked lunacy and twisted-ness during that time, and I expressed it on the blog and on my friends. Oh, I still like lunacy. But in a different way. My classmates were my primary audience, and while it lasted, it provided me a way to remember them.
Near the middle of 2006, I had lost my purpose here. Nothing seemed so mental anymore, and life started being less of a toy. I put up many announcements, but made fun of fewer things, mostly because there were fewer people around. And when the old faces returned, I preferred to savor their company in positive light rather than chickenlittle them up (ala Girl TMY). And I don't always post those shining moments, because those shining moments are uncontainable.
So after I finished Bible school and started working for real (before that I worked at Monash, and I suppose you can't exactly say that I wasn't working 'for real') I didn't have the sort of luxury to think of ways to insult my friends here anymore. Sure I've mocked the government several times, the opposition, and a lot of other things. Talked about Superman way too many times. Posted too many movie links, and made this place more of a press-release place. But it's no longer Mental Toys.
Plus I've found other avenues to vent my crap. My girlfriend thinks I use my time lecturing students trying to turn them into political animals with sharp claws (yes, I do that, but God knows if I changed anyone's life at all). And I tell Ah Beng jokes (lessons well learnt during my time at Bible school).
But it's okay. That's what we call 'life'.
That's why you don't see many posts here now. In fact, I intend to stop here completely. The banner says "Look, something is happening!", and this is the 'something'. I intend to blog again, sometime in the near future when the mood returns. But it won't be here, and it'll be more than just press-releases of Transformers 2 coming out and The Dark Knight killing the Joker before the movie is even out.
So that's that.
And here are the press-releases: HAHA.
I still have intentions to make short films, though 'life' is very busy, and what little time I have I invest in something called 'life'. Cheesy, but true. Not that films aren't important to me. Just not at the moment.
For those who are not aware, Faltasia 3 is suspended due to a number of reasons. Partly because I've been unable to secure May Yee to do her will-be-iconic climax of the film. Partly because my computer(s) have been unable to keep pace. Partly because of the lack of equipment. Stuff like that. But I intend to finish it. Hopefully by the end of my lifetime. Because it sure looks bleak at the moment.
I finished a short story! Not that it's something to shout about in the context of shaping society. But my friends who know me know that I like to make things up (much like Edward Bloom, though less far fetched), I try to write short stories for my personal enjoyment sometime. Well, I used to be able to write stuff here and there, but I finally FINISHED one in a very very long time.
It's called Prince. It's about a man who drives forever to my semi-canonized fictional land of 'There'. (I like rehashing things I've used before, because it allows me to be lazy. Trust me, you have yet to see the last of Faltasia, on film or on paper.) Along his journey he meets some people. It's a fairy tale, though most probably won't agree with me.
Maybe sometime down the road I'll post it somewhere. Embarrassing lah.
Initially I wrote it as a script, hoping to film it as something a little closer to heart in terms of 'romance'. Then decided that since filming things are bleak-ish for my current life, I wrote it as prose. The film would've been titled, This is a Road Movie: Told by the Driver Regarding Some Unique Passengers of His.
Yes, long title. I was in a mood.
Then there's this sizzling idea since a year plus ago, thought up by Eddie and I, about abstract art. I've been tossing it around on whether it should be a documentary or fiction. But I think I'm settling on being both at the same time. In separate sections. Again, possibilities are bleak at the moment, but no harm thinking. If I do get to make this, I'll be calling it Which Denomination Decides the Abstractness of Things and Which Denomination Matters Anyway?
Yes, I have a thing for long titles recently.
Heath Ledger died. I'll salute him for The Patriot, 10 Things I Hate About You, even A Knight's Tale, and Ned Kelly. That's all. I'm sure to appreciate the Joker in The Dark Knight, and probably in the Terry Gilliam thing. A good talent lost.
Now, I just vomited a pile of things here.
But expect me to not return until I have something new worth announcing here.
Watch Charlie Wilson's War. Aaron Sorkin rocks.
Watch American Gangster as well.
Grindhouse is, while entertaining, really stupid. Sorry Bob, you just didn't quite make it this time. Quentin, you too.
Ok guys,
I'm out.
Happy Cinapek new year. And back to FacebookScrabulous
*
The last time I posted something was during Christmas. Before that I posted some ambiguous stuff about my losing interest in blogging here anymore. The truth of the matter is, I've outgrown 'Mental Toys'. I set it up some time three years ago at the urging of the then very green and innocent Sze Ning (whom I hope is still innocent, but less green. But she's brown-ish. Nvm). I was inspired her commitment to journal her life's experiences online, while at the same time using this space as an avenue to get stuff out there.
The field is crowded, of course, but it's still public. So it was worth the shot, and it still is. Of course, we could get into the whole dynamics of targeting specific audiences and stuff like that. But that's not the point. The point is to actually have stuff out here in cyberspace and it's open to an infinite amount of possibilities. Never know, Prime Minister might stumble on your blog.
Ok rambling.
So I blogged, under the inspired 'Mental Toys' mantra. Everything is up for grabs. All stories can be twisted, perversed, messed about, made fun of, and told. I think the one true season where I think this blog lived up to its own name was when I was in the 2nd/3rd year of my studies in Monash. The 50 something Wasting Away posts, while best to be read by internal audiences, served as the centerpiece of absolute stupidity, with fresh stories of lunacy produced and served on a silver platter mostly by Sarah Jane, and sometimes, the other friends.
It was mostly half truths, and half lies. But the state of my mind was an honest one as presented here. I liked lunacy and twisted-ness during that time, and I expressed it on the blog and on my friends. Oh, I still like lunacy. But in a different way. My classmates were my primary audience, and while it lasted, it provided me a way to remember them.
Near the middle of 2006, I had lost my purpose here. Nothing seemed so mental anymore, and life started being less of a toy. I put up many announcements, but made fun of fewer things, mostly because there were fewer people around. And when the old faces returned, I preferred to savor their company in positive light rather than chickenlittle them up (ala Girl TMY). And I don't always post those shining moments, because those shining moments are uncontainable.
So after I finished Bible school and started working for real (before that I worked at Monash, and I suppose you can't exactly say that I wasn't working 'for real') I didn't have the sort of luxury to think of ways to insult my friends here anymore. Sure I've mocked the government several times, the opposition, and a lot of other things. Talked about Superman way too many times. Posted too many movie links, and made this place more of a press-release place. But it's no longer Mental Toys.
Plus I've found other avenues to vent my crap. My girlfriend thinks I use my time lecturing students trying to turn them into political animals with sharp claws (yes, I do that, but God knows if I changed anyone's life at all). And I tell Ah Beng jokes (lessons well learnt during my time at Bible school).
But it's okay. That's what we call 'life'.
That's why you don't see many posts here now. In fact, I intend to stop here completely. The banner says "Look, something is happening!", and this is the 'something'. I intend to blog again, sometime in the near future when the mood returns. But it won't be here, and it'll be more than just press-releases of Transformers 2 coming out and The Dark Knight killing the Joker before the movie is even out.
So that's that.
And here are the press-releases: HAHA.
I still have intentions to make short films, though 'life' is very busy, and what little time I have I invest in something called 'life'. Cheesy, but true. Not that films aren't important to me. Just not at the moment.
For those who are not aware, Faltasia 3 is suspended due to a number of reasons. Partly because I've been unable to secure May Yee to do her will-be-iconic climax of the film. Partly because my computer(s) have been unable to keep pace. Partly because of the lack of equipment. Stuff like that. But I intend to finish it. Hopefully by the end of my lifetime. Because it sure looks bleak at the moment.
I finished a short story! Not that it's something to shout about in the context of shaping society. But my friends who know me know that I like to make things up (much like Edward Bloom, though less far fetched), I try to write short stories for my personal enjoyment sometime. Well, I used to be able to write stuff here and there, but I finally FINISHED one in a very very long time.
It's called Prince. It's about a man who drives forever to my semi-canonized fictional land of 'There'. (I like rehashing things I've used before, because it allows me to be lazy. Trust me, you have yet to see the last of Faltasia, on film or on paper.) Along his journey he meets some people. It's a fairy tale, though most probably won't agree with me.
Maybe sometime down the road I'll post it somewhere. Embarrassing lah.
Initially I wrote it as a script, hoping to film it as something a little closer to heart in terms of 'romance'. Then decided that since filming things are bleak-ish for my current life, I wrote it as prose. The film would've been titled, This is a Road Movie: Told by the Driver Regarding Some Unique Passengers of His.
Yes, long title. I was in a mood.
Then there's this sizzling idea since a year plus ago, thought up by Eddie and I, about abstract art. I've been tossing it around on whether it should be a documentary or fiction. But I think I'm settling on being both at the same time. In separate sections. Again, possibilities are bleak at the moment, but no harm thinking. If I do get to make this, I'll be calling it Which Denomination Decides the Abstractness of Things and Which Denomination Matters Anyway?
Yes, I have a thing for long titles recently.
Heath Ledger died. I'll salute him for The Patriot, 10 Things I Hate About You, even A Knight's Tale, and Ned Kelly. That's all. I'm sure to appreciate the Joker in The Dark Knight, and probably in the Terry Gilliam thing. A good talent lost.
Now, I just vomited a pile of things here.
But expect me to not return until I have something new worth announcing here.
Watch Charlie Wilson's War. Aaron Sorkin rocks.
Watch American Gangster as well.
Grindhouse is, while entertaining, really stupid. Sorry Bob, you just didn't quite make it this time. Quentin, you too.
Ok guys,
I'm out.
Happy Cinapek new year. And back to FacebookScrabulous
*



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home