Been a while since someone asked me
Truth be told, I haven't had a lot of opportunities to talk about film in the past few months due to the lack of time and some changes in life. Still love'em, but just not able to catch anything and everything in the world anymore. Plus I've passed the phase where I felt like I needed to watch everything.
But anyway, yesterday, on the way to lunch with some of my students, this kid asked me who's my favorite director. And I found myself rattling a number of names to him and telling him why I like them. And then I notice I've never really rattled about that here. But then people rattle so much about the head, I think I want to ramble about certain members of the crew that sometimes I feel play a bigger part in making the films better.
*
Pietro Scalia - Probably my favorite Hollywood editor. Black Hawk Down is still to me the best edited film of all time. He's editing yet another Ridley film next, American Gangster.
Chris Doyle - Taiwanese photographer who shot Hero, which to me is the most beautiful piece of photographic work in cinema.
Chris Lebenzon - Hm. If you watch the movies he edited, you can tell that even editors have style. He's edited a ton of Michael Bay movies, like Armageddon, Enemy of the State etc... and then I watched Deja Vu (brilliant movie by the way), made by Tony Scott, and within 5 minutes I thought to myself, 'this feels like a Michael Bay movie'. Of course it wasn't. It was Lebenzon. So now I wonder, how many percent of a movie's nuts and bolts are attributed to the editor. It's an ambiguous question, really. Not putting down the director, but trying to elevate the editor.
Phillip Glass - I've talked about Johnny Williams and Hans and Hisaishi way too often so I'll give you another composer on my top 10 list. Phillip Glass. Listen to The Hours. If you don't like it, listen to The Illusionist. If you still don't like it...
Scott Farrar - Even CGI artists have style! I was one of the few people in the world that liked A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. And I loved Minority Report. Visually, these two are among the most chunted futuristic sci-fi movies I've seen. Yeah credit to designers but the CGI sure scored high. This man also did the latter Star Wars films, and most recently did the CGI for Transformers. I didn't know it was him till the credits rolled.
John Toll - Before I knew Chris Doyle, he was my favorite photographer. Thin Red Line was no.1 on my personal favorites list for a good few years. He also shot Braveheart, The Last Samurai, and Legends of the Fall.
Bruce Fowler - Without him, most of Hans Zimmer and his Media Ventures/Remote Control studios composers would be out of jobs. Bruce Fowler orchestrates and conducts every note these composers write and turns them into actual music.
Many more names but now I actually need to work.
*
By the way, I have 4 new roles I need for Idiot 3. Any takers?
Anyone with any potential to look like an idiot would do.
Just think May Yee, Fikri, Eddie and Lynette. If you can remotely emulate their... idioticness. No problem.
*
But anyway, yesterday, on the way to lunch with some of my students, this kid asked me who's my favorite director. And I found myself rattling a number of names to him and telling him why I like them. And then I notice I've never really rattled about that here. But then people rattle so much about the head, I think I want to ramble about certain members of the crew that sometimes I feel play a bigger part in making the films better.
*
Pietro Scalia - Probably my favorite Hollywood editor. Black Hawk Down is still to me the best edited film of all time. He's editing yet another Ridley film next, American Gangster.
Chris Doyle - Taiwanese photographer who shot Hero, which to me is the most beautiful piece of photographic work in cinema.
Chris Lebenzon - Hm. If you watch the movies he edited, you can tell that even editors have style. He's edited a ton of Michael Bay movies, like Armageddon, Enemy of the State etc... and then I watched Deja Vu (brilliant movie by the way), made by Tony Scott, and within 5 minutes I thought to myself, 'this feels like a Michael Bay movie'. Of course it wasn't. It was Lebenzon. So now I wonder, how many percent of a movie's nuts and bolts are attributed to the editor. It's an ambiguous question, really. Not putting down the director, but trying to elevate the editor.
Phillip Glass - I've talked about Johnny Williams and Hans and Hisaishi way too often so I'll give you another composer on my top 10 list. Phillip Glass. Listen to The Hours. If you don't like it, listen to The Illusionist. If you still don't like it...
Scott Farrar - Even CGI artists have style! I was one of the few people in the world that liked A.I.: Artificial Intelligence. And I loved Minority Report. Visually, these two are among the most chunted futuristic sci-fi movies I've seen. Yeah credit to designers but the CGI sure scored high. This man also did the latter Star Wars films, and most recently did the CGI for Transformers. I didn't know it was him till the credits rolled.
John Toll - Before I knew Chris Doyle, he was my favorite photographer. Thin Red Line was no.1 on my personal favorites list for a good few years. He also shot Braveheart, The Last Samurai, and Legends of the Fall.
Bruce Fowler - Without him, most of Hans Zimmer and his Media Ventures/Remote Control studios composers would be out of jobs. Bruce Fowler orchestrates and conducts every note these composers write and turns them into actual music.
Many more names but now I actually need to work.
*
By the way, I have 4 new roles I need for Idiot 3. Any takers?
Anyone with any potential to look like an idiot would do.
Just think May Yee, Fikri, Eddie and Lynette. If you can remotely emulate their... idioticness. No problem.
*



1 Comments:
Enemy of the State was actually directed by Tony Scott, I think.
Post a Comment
<< Home