Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Quiet Zimmer

Ok, for those who do not know me, I'm a film buff/geek. And the film score is perhaps the most exciting aspect of a film to me (more than fancy cutting and sleek photography).

And my personal big three are Zimmer, Williams, and Hisaishi. I do suspect that this almost eternal big three will soon change, but for now, it's these 3.

Today I'll just briefly talk about Zimmer, since I downloaded a stack of The Holiday scores.

Somehow, despite his fame as this adrenalinepumpingthematicmaestrokickbuttnuclearbomb sort of music, his 'soft' music has made a more powderful impression with me.

Don't get me wrong, hearing the 'Busa this busa that' percussion from the Lion King does make my mood go up a notch. Stuff from The Last Samurai and Crimson Tide does make me wanna fight a war. Gladiator, King Arthur, Batman Begins, Peacemaker, you know, it makes me wanna stomp some baddies.

Then there's Backdraft, which is a class of its own. It's probably the single most influential soundtrack in my life. Well, it made me start listening to soundtracks, so it probably is probably influential.

Then here's the list of stuff that's really stuck to me

Hannibal
The Thin Red Line
Thelma and Louise
Driving Miss Daisy
As Good as it Gets
and now, The Holiday

4 of the above 6 films are romances. Hannibal is just classical music fused with psychological horror. Thin Red Line is poeticized war. All 6 hardly contain more than 20 seconds of heavy bass pumping music.

And I've used Hannibal to write my assignments. Thin Red Line for a ton of broody films and plays. Driving Miss Daisy and Thelma and Louise for entrance music for some functions. As Good as it Gets for a friend's wedding theme. Basically, when I need to use stuff that's important to me, pieces from these films come to mind.

When I get to use my sister's car, I get to use the CD player, and I always play As Good As it Gets. It's just sweet. Makes the drive smooth.

Dunno. Maybe he should stick to these sorts of music (instead of the monumentally crappy Pirates of the Caribbean franchise). Oh yeah, Spanglish is good too, though I haven't managed to download anything from there.

K. Hisaishi next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home