Tuesday, December 05, 2006

2006 Cinema in review - so far.

here are my 5 favorite films for the year 2006 (so far. The Christmas season haven't quite started yet. By Jan 2007 I'll give a 'real' top 5)

1. Deja vu

This show is probably my current favorite because firstly, it's a Tony Scott movie, and when I watch a Tony Scott movie, I don't expect him to be versatile. I go to the cinema wanting to watch Tony Scott and nothing else. And Deja vu is Tony Scott at his vintage best. Better than Crimson Tide, better than Top Gun, better than Man on Fire, better than Domino.

Usually thrillers thrill me. Deja vu thrills, and presses a needle into your heart. Denzel Washington and Paula Patton's performances make time travelling and the movie overall a mysteriously nostalgic thriller.

And it's a Tony Scott film.

2. V for Vendetta

This movie is one of the rare times when when the credits roll, I stay silent for some moments, then go "wow..." very quietly.

Because it's just so darn good. Comic book adaptations work. If you dont' believe me. Watch this.

And it's got Natalie Portman.
With a bald head.

3. The Departed

Don't kill me, but I haven't seen the Hong Kong version called 'Infernal Affairs' which I hear is really really good.

But since I haven't seen that one. I think Jack Nicholson is the most awesomest villain I've seen in a long long time. And Leonardo proves that he can act under the direction of Scorsese.

And it's the best Scorsese film I've seen. Not like The Aviator, where I nearly fell asleep.

4. The Prestige

Ah, Chris Nolan is fast becoming one of my favorite directors.

Watch this film closely. It's a lesson about being observant through and through.

And how films can be intelligent from start to finish.

5. Lady in the Water

Yes. Call me an idiot.
I loved this film.

*

On the bubble:

Superman Returns
- I agree with most reviewers that if there's one major problem with this film, it's the casting choices and the lack of dialogue. But apart from that, Superman Returns is a visual splendour, and has the best soundtrack so far.

Casino Royale
- This is the first time I actually (well, second time, after Tomorrow Never Dies) enjoyed a Bond movie.

Boycotts:

X-Men 3
- Brett Ratner can go die. As well as John Powell.

Fumbles
Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest
- Hmm.

My current top 5 most awaited movies for the rest of 2006

1. Children of Men

by Alfonso Cuaron. About a world where women can't give birth anymore. It looks gritty, and I find myself interested in sci-fi set in the present time/near the present time. Stars Clive Owen and Julianne Moore

2. The Painted Veil

Check this out. Edward Norton and Naomi Watts in a LOVE STORY. Sorta. Best picture nominee here, maybe?

3. Curse of the Golden Flower

Zhang Yi Mou. Enuff said.
Chow Yun Fatt. More than enuff said.

4. The Black Dahlia

This came out in the states already, and I think it won't get here. But I want to watch this. It's a Brian De Palma film noir thingy with Josh Hartnett, Scarlett Johanssen, Hillary Swank and Aaron Eckhart. Stylo to the max from what I've seen.

5. Hollywoodland

Apparently this film is Ben Affleck's redemption from the realm of superstar-failures. But mostly I want to watch it because it's about Superman.

*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home