When asked, "what do you love about that person?"
Usually I give some lame duck answer, like "I can talk to the person. I can this da da da la la la, or she's a very beautiful person... di da la lo so and so forth"
or maybe "She's a beautiful person in this sort of way or that sort of way."
or even worse, "she makes me happy"
or perhaps, "I feel like I can be myself when I'm with her" or something like that.
It's all true, I suppose. But sometimes I feel like I don't want to answer that question anymore.
"What is it about the person that you love so much?"
You wouldn't get it. Really, you wouldn't. There are only a certain number of million words (or more or less, but the point is it is finite) in the English dictionary, and everytime I am posed this question, I find that no combination of words can capture that which I feel and know in a precise way.
But very often I feel obligated to say something, because somehow there is this normative sense that it must be explained, that if no words are arranged to rationalize my love, then it is an unjustified and unsubstantiated love.
So usually I say something. Truth is, at best, I can say what is it that closely and usually rather remotely makes up my thoughts on why I love someone at that particular moment when the question was asked, but that is about it. Really.
And very often, true enough, people think I'm rather shallow in thought and I sound a bit ridiculous. And I think I sound rather ridiculous as well.
People say so probably because it sounded lacking.
I say so because it IS lacking.
It's almost infinite, love.
Maybe next time when I'm asked "why do you love this person?"
I'll just keep quiet. Or say, "I just do."
And that may not satisfy he or she who asks, but I am at peace with myself.
Usually I give some lame duck answer, like "I can talk to the person. I can this da da da la la la, or she's a very beautiful person... di da la lo so and so forth"
or maybe "She's a beautiful person in this sort of way or that sort of way."
or even worse, "she makes me happy"
or perhaps, "I feel like I can be myself when I'm with her" or something like that.
It's all true, I suppose. But sometimes I feel like I don't want to answer that question anymore.
"What is it about the person that you love so much?"
You wouldn't get it. Really, you wouldn't. There are only a certain number of million words (or more or less, but the point is it is finite) in the English dictionary, and everytime I am posed this question, I find that no combination of words can capture that which I feel and know in a precise way.
But very often I feel obligated to say something, because somehow there is this normative sense that it must be explained, that if no words are arranged to rationalize my love, then it is an unjustified and unsubstantiated love.
So usually I say something. Truth is, at best, I can say what is it that closely and usually rather remotely makes up my thoughts on why I love someone at that particular moment when the question was asked, but that is about it. Really.
And very often, true enough, people think I'm rather shallow in thought and I sound a bit ridiculous. And I think I sound rather ridiculous as well.
People say so probably because it sounded lacking.
I say so because it IS lacking.
It's almost infinite, love.
Maybe next time when I'm asked "why do you love this person?"
I'll just keep quiet. Or say, "I just do."
And that may not satisfy he or she who asks, but I am at peace with myself.



3 Comments:
don't you always answer 'i just do'. I once asked a friend why do he love that person. He just wrote 1337 on the paper and ask me to look at the num. from the mirror. 'FEEL'
When I say that you and I, we are one, I was kidding most of the time.
But stuff like this, it's quite eerie how similar our feelings and opinions are.
I find some realization in your words. For girls, there is always that need for words, when in truth sometimes all words just seem to fail to express what one '1337'.
It is enough that the person whom you are with knows that you love her, and vice versa, everything and everyone lses opinions doesn't matter other wise.
Post a Comment
<< Home